Jablonski 5

Friday, October 14, 2011

Late Night Cacophony

At around 2am, I am sound asleep in the very dark basement. Seemingly all of a sudden I hear:

"MOMMY I NEED YOU!" from Allison somewhere up the stairs.

I sit straight up and yell "Coming!" Then I start to crawl across the bed and over Kevin's legs. I am worried.
What could be wrong? Stomach ache? Sore throat? I trip (is it still called tripping when you are crawling?) over Kevin and flip and fall off the bed hitting my leg on the metal frame and landing somewhat on the dog. I yelp. Lucy licks me as if to say "Are you ok?" and also "What the hell?" I then hop up and limp a few steps, partly from the fall and partly from the yoga I did earlier. I run up the stairs and find Allie in the kitchen waiting for me. I look her over and kneel down beside her. What kind of catastrophe awaits? I look up into her beautiful sleepy eyes and ask "What's wrong?" To which she replies: "I had-ed to go potty and wanted you to tuck me back in". She then pivots on her heel swishing those lovely curls around and walks to her room. I stand and straighten my back like an old women. I look at the heavens and let out a long breath (trying to apply some yoga?). Then I follow her to tuck her in and let her know she is loved and safe.

I am a Mom. This is my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment